[libvirt] ruby-libvirt mixed storage migration

Chris Lalancette clalancette at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 21:17:52 UTC 2016

On Mon, Mar 7, 2016 at 10:48 AM, Tim Förster - Hetzner Online AG <
tim.foerster at hetzner.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> rebuilding the gem is not quite easy. I am not able to find the actual
> gemspec. There are also some

The gemspec is in the git repository.  You should be able to clone git://
libvirt.org/ruby-libvirt.git, then run "rake gem" to get a new gem.

> missing features, which are available though virsh. Such as 'virsh
> domblklist' to find out the
> actual registered block targets or rate limiting with iotune the burst
> iops.

ruby-libvirt aims to expose the libvirt API through ruby, not the virsh
API.  Sometimes virsh provides additional functionality on top of the
libvirt API, which will not necessarily be implemented in ruby-libvirt.  In
this particular case, virsh domblklist parses virDomainGetXMLDesc() to
output a list of block devices.  virDomainGetXMLDesc() is supported by
ruby-libvirt, but domblklist itself would not be.  That being said, it
should be fairly straightforward to implement it in ruby by first calling
dom.xml_desc(), and then parsing the output with your favorite ruby XML
parsing library.

Chris