[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index]

[libvirt] [RFC 0/3] Master secret key support



Posted as RFC primarily to make sure there's buyin for something that
will become the basis for more patches to add support for using the
master secret to encrypt sensitive data using objects. This work is
related to the QEMU 2.6 commit 'ac1d8878' (not a libvirt commit, rather
a qemu.git commit id). Hopefully I've properly read the qemu checkin
notes as they relate to key generation.

One thing of note that differs from other descriptions for a master secret.
Most bz's where it's described indicate using /var/lib/libvirt/qemu/
$GUEST-master.key; whereas, these patches chose a slightly different
tact using the generated libDir (/var/lib/libvirt/qemu/domain-#-$GUEST/
master.key). This file will be generated in qemu process launch regardless
of whether the emulator supports it or not (because we have the domain
private object to access the masterKey, but not in qemuBuildCommandLine).
The only odd part for me was the realizing that libDir is created after
successfully completing qemuBuildCommandLine - so checking if the file
exists before adding it to the command line wasn't possible, but it
seems that's no different to other libDir usages.

Internally, the I chose to store the secret to be used as a base64
value since 1. it's going to be saved in the domain objects XML output
(for libvirtd restart) and 2. it's easy enough to decode if we do need
to later on. Not sure it's appropriate to store the non encoded secret
in the domain object XML file.

One extra area I need help on is the capabilitiesdata setup... That is how
to generate the tests/qemucapabilitiesdata/caps_2.6.0-1.replies so that
the 'secret' object exists and so that if I add "<flag name='secret'>"
to the .caps file I won't get a test failure since the existing one doesn't
list the secrets object.

I've done a bit of testing locally... Starting with running domains (both
persistent and transient) then restarting libvirtd and with starting
the same domains with the code running. I didn't update my qemu locally
to see the -object on the command line, but the test added does show
the -object added (although I it took a double take and some thinking
whether /tmp/lib/domain--1-$NAME/ should be used - note the /tmp and the
domain--# prefix).

John Ferlan (3):
  qemu: Create domain master key
  qemu: Add capability bit for qemu secret object
  qemu: Introduce qemuBuildMasterKeyCommandLine

 src/qemu/qemu_capabilities.c                       |   2 +
 src/qemu/qemu_capabilities.h                       |   1 +
 src/qemu/qemu_command.c                            |  67 ++++++++
 src/qemu/qemu_domain.c                             | 175 +++++++++++++++++++++
 src/qemu/qemu_domain.h                             |  11 ++
 src/qemu/qemu_process.c                            |  13 ++
 .../qemuxml2argvdata/qemuxml2argv-master-key.args  |  23 +++
 tests/qemuxml2argvdata/qemuxml2argv-master-key.xml |  30 ++++
 tests/qemuxml2argvtest.c                           |   2 +
 9 files changed, 324 insertions(+)
 create mode 100644 tests/qemuxml2argvdata/qemuxml2argv-master-key.args
 create mode 100644 tests/qemuxml2argvdata/qemuxml2argv-master-key.xml

-- 
2.5.0


[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index]