Re: [libvirt] [virt-tools-list] Usability Enhancement: Import/Export VMs GUI

On Thu, Mar 24, 2016 at 02:37:56PM +0100, bancfc openmailbox org wrote:
On 2016-03-14 11:00, Martin Kletzander wrote:
On Fri, Mar 11, 2016 at 10:32:15PM +0000, bancfc openmailbox org wrote:

Cool, now I'm wondering whether we also mention distros that are based
on leveraging libvirt on our apps page [1]

The initial import process with virsh commands puts off many newbies
who
lack the technical skills to get up and running. This is the single
most
coveted feature that comes up. It would be great if you guys can make
it
happen at GSoC :)

Since virt-v2v can already quickly do that, I'm not sure the idea is
big
enough that it would be enough for such project.  It would be basically
a file chooser, button and running 'virt-v2v' with proper parameters if
I'm not mistaken.

Martin

[1] https://libvirt.org/apps.html

I've been reading up on virt-v2v as a potential one line command
solution for guest import but it seems this specific usecase is not what
it was made for and this feature was ripped out:

https://rwmj.wordpress.com/2015/09/18/importing-kvm-guests-to-ovirt-or-rhev/#content

We're both talking about different things then.  virt-v2v is supposed to
be able to import OVA image, that is extract all the stuff from it and
feed it to libvirt.  Although I was only told that, I have no hands on
experience with that.

Totally different thing is importing only disk images.  virt-install and
virt-manager can already do that and that's not the case for virt-v2v.