[libvirt] [Ceph] blockInfo cannot work with network type disk

ZhiQiang Fan aji.zqfan at gmail.com
Wed May 4 11:34:50 UTC 2016

Hi devs & users,

The Telemetry service of OpenStack, project code name Ceilometer, is using
libvirt.domain.blockInfo() to get disk's physical, allocation and capacity
information [1]. However, when disk is network type with protocol ceph, the
blockInfo() always fail with: libvirtError: internal error: missing storage
backend for network files using rbd protocol. [2]

After reading some libvirt code, I think it might due to blockInfo() always
assume disk is file backend [3], and file backend doesn't support network
type [4].

I want to know if such limitation is by design?

   - If yes, then how should I get the network type disk's physical,
   allocation and capacity info?
   - If not, is there any plan to implement it?

Thanks!

[1]
https://github.com/openstack/ceilometer/blob/stable/mitaka/ceilometer/compute/virt/libvirt/inspector.py#L215
[2] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ceilometer/+bug/1457440