[libvirt] docs: Change or update the hacking page

Cole Robinson crobinso at redhat.com
Wed May 11 14:01:28 UTC 2016

On 05/11/2016 02:04 AM, Nishith Shah wrote:
> Hi everyone, sorry about the empty message above, I was typing and I pressed
> the wrong set of keys.
>
> So, I was going through the contributor guidelines page[1], and after
> discussing with Michal Privoznik, I think there are some things that need to
> be updated. For instance, the 4th point about posting patches mentions using
> git diff instead of git format-patch. I also feel that the workflow in general
> should be re-written and updated with some more details. I have written a very
> detailed post about the workflow here[2], and might pick some points up from
> there. Please let me know what you think of it.
>
> Also, please post the other things  that you think should be changed on that
> page in this thread.

I've thought a bit about this too. I don't think the HACKING page is a good
landing page for new contributors. It _is_ useful document _everything_ that a
contributor might want to know, but I think we should also have a page
specifically for a contributor quickstart which has very bare minimum info.
I'm not saying this is anything you need to handle :) Just figured I'd throw
my thoughts out.

Ideas for the hypothetical doc, which shouldn't be more than a page or two:

- building libvirt, with links to more complete docs. though one of the
hardest bits about getting involved with any project is learning the correct
build incantation to make things work. I usually suggest grabbing the
./configure line from rpm --eval '%configure', but libvirt has autogen.sh
--system as well, but I haven't tested it in a while

- running libvirt: running libvirtd/virsh from git, maybe RPM? probably
discouraging 'make install' unless people know what they are doing

- basic steps for running make check and make syntax-check

- mention that we use git format-patch/send-email, but no instructions, link
them if necessary. maybe link to example mailing list postings for guidelines
for formatting commit messages/series

- A link to the BiteSizedTasks page

- Cole