[libvirt] libvirt compiles on RISC-V (RV64G)

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Thu Oct 27 09:52:48 UTC 2016

On Thu, Oct 27, 2016 at 09:56:07AM +0200, Andrea Bolognani wrote:

> > > Did you actually try connecting to a remote libvirtd instance
> > > from the RISC-V machine?
>> > No, the qemu emulation has no networking (real hardware will of course
> > have networking).
>
> Fair enough :)
>
> > > Does the test suite pass?
>> > I didn't try it.
>
> I realized the test suite is run as part of the RPM build,
> so if the RPM build succeeded it means the test suite must
> have passed! Yay! \o/

Unfortunately not - I was building libvirt from git (in case it needed
any changes).  We're missing quite a few packages before libvirt can
be built from the RPM, see these files (although they are a bit out of
date):

https://fedorapeople.org/groups/risc-v/logs/libvirt/

As new packages get built for Fedora 25, we are picking them up
automatically and trying to build them for RISC-V:

https://fedorapeople.org/groups/risc-v/autobuilder-status.html

> > It's not massively important that libvirt actually
> > works until the hypervisor specification is sorted out, and real
> > hardware is widely available.  Mainly the team want libvirt in order
> > just to satify deps required to build other packages.
>
> I assume packages that depend or build-depend on libvirt
> actually care about libvirt working :) You don't want to
> end up with a bunch of fully built packages that crash
> horribly the second you start using them ;)

QA-ing the whole thing, beyond simple testing by hand, is quite
difficult especially without solid hardware.

Rich.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/MinGW