[libvirt] Remotable Libvirt

Stef Walter stefw at redhat.com
Tue Jun 6 17:25:08 UTC 2017

On 06.06.2017 12:13, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 06, 2017 at 06:07:21PM +0200, Stef Walter wrote:

>>> Ignoring wire compatibility questions, it is important to note that not all
>>> functionality in libvirt is done in libvirtd. There are libvirt drivers that
>>> are entirely implemented in the library, not libvirtd. For some of the
>>> libvirt drivers that do use libvirtd, there is also still some functionality
>>> that is client side.
>>
>> So to summarize what I'm hearing here:
>>
>>  * There is no libvirt remotable API today.
>
> Libvirt drivers that are implemented in libvirtd are accessible remotely
> using the libvirt client library. We just consider the wire protocol a
> private impl detail between them.  Drivers implemented outside libvirtd
> are often accessible remotely too, via the hypervisor's native remoting
> system.

I believe those are implementation details, not and remoteable API.
Libvirt and its API must always be used in process today? Even though it
RPC may be in play, it is an implementation detail, not API. Correct?

>>  * All libvirt APIs are only able to be used in-process.
>>  * There is presently no ability for a libvirt API to be used from a
>>    browser, or non-Linux process or non-Linux system.
>
> Actually libvirt can be built on OS-X, Windows and FreeBSD too.

Ah good to know. But the API is always used in process, correct?

>> In order for Cockpit to interact with libvirt, it would need to grow a
>> remoteable API. The Cockpit project could likely jumpstart such an
>> effort, by lightly wrapping the C API in DBus ... and contribute that
>> remoteable API code to the libvirt project.
>
> FWIW, if someone does want to build a DBus wrapper around libvirt, that
> would be something todo as a separate code module above the libvirt
> API. We would be happy to host such an effort on libvirt.org git though,
> alongside other higher level API wrappers. Likewise for a REST API wrapper.

This would be a useful division of labor between Cockpit consuming such
a remotable API  ... and the remoteable API being hosted and maintained
by the libvirt folks ... although the Cockpit project could help get it
started.

Stef