[libvirt] 'make check' fails (qemuhotplugTest) with libvirt fakeroot build, starting with 3.1.0 release

Michal Privoznik mprivozn at redhat.com
Mon Mar 6 11:09:20 UTC 2017

On 06.03.2017 12:05, Predrag Ivanovic wrote:
> On Mon, 06 Mar 2017 07:06:22 +0100
> Michal Privoznik wrote:
>
>> This is the problem. fakeroot tells the test that it is running under
>> root user therefore it tries to access some dirs there (which is denied
>> because of fakeroot). Well, we shouldn't mkdir() from our test suite
>> neither - will look into that.
>> BTW: why do you run tests under fakeroot? why not run them under your
>> regular user?
>
> When I build the libvirt package (or any other package on the system), all stages (configure, make, make check, make install) run under fakeroot,
> for security reasons and to catch if the port is broken so it tries to do something silly :)
> I am OK making the exception and building libvirt as root, if that makes your life easier, though,
> it's not that big of the deal.
> Or I could just skip the 'make check' altogether, I haven't decided yet.

Well, I understand that if you're building under root you want to use
some security package (e.g. fakeroot). What I don't understand is why
you are building under root in the first place.

Anyway, posted a patch that should resolve your issue here:

https://www.redhat.com/archives/libvir-list/2017-March/msg00176.html

If you apply the patch on the top of your sources, you should be able to
use fakeroot just fine again. However, I'd still not recommend building
under root.

Michal