[libvirt] Making containers creation easy

Cedric Bosdonnat cbosdonnat at suse.com
Thu Mar 9 08:28:54 UTC 2017

Hi Michal,

On Thu, 2017-03-09 at 08:54 +0100, Michal Privoznik wrote:
> On 03/08/2017 06:16 PM, Cedric Bosdonnat wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I've worked on making the containers rootfs creation easy.
> > Here is a wrap-up of my work:
> >
> > http://bosdonnat.fr/system-container-images.html
> >
> > Any opinion on that? Anything to do to move it forward?
>
> Awesome. I always felt like preparing rootfs for my containers was
> overwhelming. Now, with your tool I can use docker images at least. BTW:
> should we have the repo hosted on libvirt.org? Or at least link yours
> from our docs?

So far there is no openSUSE or SUSE registry holding the images, thus
having one on libvirt.org would be great. I don't know how other distros
are generating their docker images, that part of the process should be
investigated. Having a libvirt.org public repo would imply:

  * Having reviews of the published images
  * Make sure those are updated to include major fixes like the security ones

I'm OK to do that for the openSUSE part and to help reviewing the images,
but I'm not sure it's going to fly if I'm doing it alone.

As for the virt-bootstrap tool, it may deserve a better repository (I've set
a not-so-random license on it and I can change it at will). May be the name
could also be improved. As for the features:

  * I'm planning to add unpacking in qcow2 images to benefit from backing chains.
  * Is it possible at all to prepare a filesystem that works well with userns?
    I haven't tried tar's --owner-map to see if it scales properly
  * Maybe I could add a virt-builder based source as well.

Could that be a GSoC project in the end?

--
Cedric