[libvirt] Making containers creation easy

Michal Privoznik mprivozn at redhat.com
Thu Mar 9 08:35:18 UTC 2017

On 03/09/2017 09:28 AM, Cedric Bosdonnat wrote:
> Hi Michal,
>
> On Thu, 2017-03-09 at 08:54 +0100, Michal Privoznik wrote:
>> On 03/08/2017 06:16 PM, Cedric Bosdonnat wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I've worked on making the containers rootfs creation easy.
>>> Here is a wrap-up of my work:
>>>
>>> http://bosdonnat.fr/system-container-images.html
>>>
>>> Any opinion on that? Anything to do to move it forward?
>>
>> Awesome. I always felt like preparing rootfs for my containers was
>> overwhelming. Now, with your tool I can use docker images at least. BTW:
>> should we have the repo hosted on libvirt.org? Or at least link yours
>> from our docs?
>
> So far there is no openSUSE or SUSE registry holding the images, thus
> having one on libvirt.org would be great. I don't know how other distros
> are generating their docker images, that part of the process should be
> investigated. Having a libvirt.org public repo would imply:
>
>   * Having reviews of the published images
>   * Make sure those are updated to include major fixes like the security ones
>
> I'm OK to do that for the openSUSE part and to help reviewing the images,
> but I'm not sure it's going to fly if I'm doing it alone.

Ah, I didn't mean to host an image store on our server. I meant your
tool. And for the review - if you'd lack reviews we can agree that you
just push the patches without any review. That's the agreement we have
for projects that don't have that much attention (e.g. libvirt-php).

> As for the virt-bootstrap tool, it may deserve a better repository (I've set
> a not-so-random license on it and I can change it at will). May be the name
> could also be improved. As for the features:

I'm terrible with names, so I rather not suggest one.

>   * I'm planning to add unpacking in qcow2 images to benefit from backing chains.
>   * Is it possible at all to prepare a filesystem that works well with userns?
>     I haven't tried tar's --owner-map to see if it scales properly
>   * Maybe I could add a virt-builder based source as well.
>
> Could that be a GSoC project in the end?

Sure it can. You can add it to our list of ideas:

http://wiki.libvirt.org/page/Google_Summer_of_Code_Ideas

Michal