[libvirt] Making containers creation easy

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Thu Mar 9 09:41:22 UTC 2017

On Thu, Mar 09, 2017 at 09:35:18AM +0100, Michal Privoznik wrote:
> On 03/09/2017 09:28 AM, Cedric Bosdonnat wrote:
> > Hi Michal,

> >> Awesome. I always felt like preparing rootfs for my containers was
> >> overwhelming. Now, with your tool I can use docker images at least. BTW:
> >> should we have the repo hosted on libvirt.org? Or at least link yours
> >> from our docs?
> >
> > So far there is no openSUSE or SUSE registry holding the images, thus
> > having one on libvirt.org would be great. I don't know how other distros
> > are generating their docker images, that part of the process should be
> > investigated. Having a libvirt.org public repo would imply:
> >
> >   * Having reviews of the published images
> >   * Make sure those are updated to include major fixes like the security ones
> >
> > I'm OK to do that for the openSUSE part and to help reviewing the images,
> > but I'm not sure it's going to fly if I'm doing it alone.
>
> Ah, I didn't mean to host an image store on our server. I meant your
> tool. And for the review - if you'd lack reviews we can agree that you
> just push the patches without any review. That's the agreement we have
> for projects that don't have that much attention (e.g. libvirt-php).
>

> > As for the virt-bootstrap tool, it may deserve a better repository (I've set
> > a not-so-random license on it and I can change it at will). May be the name
> > could also be improved. As for the features:
>
> I'm terrible with names, so I rather not suggest one.

I think the natural thing todo here is to make it part of the virt-manager
GIT repository, alongside virt-install, etc. I think there will be plenty
of scope for code sharing here, and it could also facilitate virt-manager
initiating bootstrapping on the fly. I think virt-bootstrap is an acceptable
name for it. So perhaps make a proposal on the virt-tools mailing list.

|: http://entangle-photo.org       -o-    http://search.cpan.org/~danberr/ :|