[libvirt] encountered failed test cases with latest checkout of libvirt

Dan srwx4096 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 29 07:01:06 UTC 2017

On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 1:01 AM, D L <srwx4096 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> This email content might be duplicated with other thread posted in other
> places that I do not know yet where to find or search (please let me know
> if it is true). I am working on a small bug of virsh domxml-to-native.
> Before I made any changes to the code in order to fix the bug, I 'make
>  test'-ed and 'valgrind test'-ed the code, encountered four failures in
> 'make test' and 19 failures in 'make -C tests valgrind'. What I did today
> was the following:
>
> git checkout master
> git pull
> ./autogen.sh --prefix=$(pwd)/build
> make
> make install
> # So far so good, no errors ; however
>
> make check VIR_TEST_EXPENSIVE=1
> # generated the following test-suite.log
>    libvirt 3.2.0: tests/test-suite.log
>
> # TOTAL: 115
> # PASS:  111
> # SKIP:  0
> # XFAIL: 0
> # FAIL:  4
> # XPASS: 0
> # ERROR: 0
>
> .. contents:: :depth: 2
>
> FAIL: virfirewalltest
> =====================
>
> TEST: virfirewalltest
>       !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 40  FAIL
> FAIL virfirewalltest (exit status: 1)
>
> FAIL: networkxml2firewalltest
> =============================
>
> TEST: networkxml2firewalltest
>                                          0   FAIL
> FAIL networkxml2firewalltest (exit status: 1)
>
> FAIL: nwfilterebiptablestest
> ============================
>
> TEST: nwfilterebiptablestest
>                                          0   FAIL
> FAIL nwfilterebiptablestest (exit status: 1)
>
> FAIL: nwfilterxml2firewalltest
> ==============================
>
> TEST: nwfilterxml2firewalltest
>                                          0   FAIL
> FAIL nwfilterxml2firewalltest (exit status: 1)
>

> make syntax-check VIR_TEST_EXTENSIVE=1
> # I did not paste the result here and I do not understand what it means.
> # available upon request
>
> Finally,
> make -C tests valgrind
> # generated file was attached.
>
> It seems most of the valgrind failures were false positives, I can only
> tell
> by comparing the log file with the examples in the HACKING page. But I
> do not have the knowledge to determine.
>
> Could anyone tell me if I am missing something? Having those test failures
> is a problem or not? Which ones can be safely ignored? Is there any easier
> way to avoid the false positives? I am concerned because I also need to
> run the test when I make changes to the code. On the other hand, I would
> also like to learn the right way to do the testing or whatever it takes to
> make
> things right.
>
> I am running linux using vmware Workstation Pro 12 on Windows 10.
> [...]
Archlinux and Debian, ebtables have to be installed explicitly in order to
pass
all test cases in 'make check'.  I found out this after I enabled debugging
checking
$ make check VIR_TEST_DEBUG=2 VIR_TEST_EXPENSIVE=1

For the valgrind testing with 'make -C tests valgrind', the errors were
*mostly* due to
"FATAL: can't open suppressions file "./.valgrind.supp". I am using
valgrind 3.12.0.

Dan