[libvirt] RFE: virsh list improvement (--description and --details)

Michal Privoznik mprivozn at redhat.com
Thu May 4 15:03:00 UTC 2017

On 05/03/2017 01:48 PM, Przemysław Sztoch wrote:
> Hello,
>
> 1. Please add —description parameter to virsh list command. It should be similar to —title.
> It will be very helpful for administrators who like to leave the order and documentation after their work.

Yeah, this one makes sense.

> 2. Please add new columns to virsh list (for —details):
> a) CPUs
> b) MaxMem
> c) Flags: p-persistent, t-transient, a-autostart, m-managed save, s-with snapshot(s)
> and total sum for column vCPUs and Mem.
>
> In my opinion it is very popular use case. It will help you control vCPU and memory overcommiting in very simple and fast way.
> Put flags on list will prevents many additional commands from being executed. You will get all important information in one place.

Frankly, this one looks at the edge of the scope of virsh list. I mean,
I view virsh as a simple CLI utility that you can build your own scripts
on the top of.
Also, you want 5 flags. Cool. But tomorrow somebody else wants another 5
(title, description, has given device, etc.). The possibilities are
endless. I suggest writing your own management application on the top of
libvirt.

> 3. Please add —domtime parameter to virsh list command. It should show column with domain’s system time similar to virsh domtime domname --pretty.
> It will be very helpful for fast guest-agent checking for every domain.

And this one is beyond the scope of the command. The aim of list command
is to list available domains, not fetch side note info on them.

> 4. Please add column Parent and Metadata to virsh snapshot-list.

I'm ambivalent on this one.

Michal