[libvirt] gnulib tests in libvirt broken by newer glibc 2.26

Christian Ehrhardt christian.ehrhardt at canonical.com
Fri Sep 29 12:02:20 UTC 2017

On Fri, Sep 29, 2017 at 10:45 AM, Daniel P. Berrange <berrange at redhat.com>
wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 28, 2017 at 04:41:37PM -0700, Paul Eggert wrote:
> > That patch essentially negates the point of the test, which is that
> getopt
> > should be visible from unistd.h. I'd rather fix the problem than nuke the
> > test.
> >
> > Could you explain what the Gnulib problem is here? I can't really see it
> in
> > your email. A self-contained example would help.
> >
> > For what it's worth, I could not reproduce the problem on Fedora 26 by
> doing
> > this in Gnulib (this tells 'configure' to use Gnulib-supplied getopt.h
> and
> > getopt.c):
>
> Fedora 26 only has glibc 2.25 - you need to have Fedora rawhide to get
> the broken behaviour, as that has glibc 2.26.90
>
> > ./gnulib-tool --create-testdir --dir foo getopt-posix
> > cd foo
> > ./configure gl_cv_func_getopt_posix=no ac_cv_header_getopt_h=no
> > make
> > make check

As Daniel said at least glibc 2.26 as in Fedora rawhide or Ubuntu Artful.
But thanks for these commands that way I could reproduce without needing
any of the libvirt build env.

Here [1] a log of your commands on such a system showing the issue.
I added a gdb to show the assert and an LD_DEBUG so you can see that getopt
is not taken from gnulib as the test assumes when verifying behavior.

[1]: http://paste.ubuntu.com/25638847/

--
Christian Ehrhardt
Software Engineer, Ubuntu Server