[libvirt] [qemu RFC] qapi: add "firmware.json"

Daniel P. Berrangé berrange at redhat.com
Tue Apr 10 11:50:18 UTC 2018

On Tue, Apr 10, 2018 at 01:44:13PM +0200, Laszlo Ersek wrote:
> On 04/10/18 13:34, Daniel P. Berrangé wrote:
> > On Tue, Apr 10, 2018 at 01:27:18PM +0200, Laszlo Ersek wrote:
> >
> >> Please go through the rest of the emails in this thread, and advise:
> >> - if the firmware descriptor schema may perhaps live in the libvirt tree,
> >> - accordingly, if the schema could be expressed as an XSD (and firmware
> >> packages should provide the descriptor documents as XMLs)
> >> - if you agree that the descriptor document can uniquely reference
> >> mapping methods implemented in libvirtd by simple enum constants (with
> >> necessary parameters provided).
> >
> > No to all three. This is the responsibility of QEMU to define, because
> > this information is relevant to anything managing QEMU not just libvirt.
>
> In that case, how do you suggest we describe the QEMU command line
> options that are (a) necessary, (b) "discoverable" to the management
> application? Should we provide verbatim command line fragments (option
> templates)? Is this feature meant to replace the cmdline generation
> logic that already exists in libvirtd?

Each part of the schema should have docs describing what CLI args it
corresponds to. eg document that when device=memory, corresponds
to -bios, that device=flash, corresponds to -drive if=pflash, etc

We've not trying to replace the cmdline generator in libvirt. We just
want to know that when we see a particular field present in the schema,
that it corresponds to a particular cli arg.