[libvirt] [Qemu-devel] clean/simple Q35 support in libvirt+QEMU for guest OSes that don't support virtio-1.0

Markus Armbruster armbru at redhat.com
Wed Aug 29 11:25:51 UTC 2018

Daniel P. Berrangé <berrange at redhat.com> writes:

> On Fri, Aug 17, 2018 at 03:13:22PM +0200, Markus Armbruster wrote:
>> Daniel P. Berrangé <berrange at redhat.com> writes:

>> > I mean from an upstream POV we still support RHEL-6 fine in i440fx,
>> > so there's no reason to particularly care about RHEL-6 with q35
>> > upstream.
>>
>> Only true if Q35 provides nothing of value over i440FX for RHEL-6
>> guests.  Does it?
>
> Q35 has little technical benefit over i440fx for the majority of guest
> deployments, regardless of guest OS.

Alright, I can look it up myself.  This list is from Marcel's slide deck
"Q35 - QEMU" <https://wiki.qemu.org/images/4/4e/Q35.pdf>, August 2016,
page 13:

    Q35-only features
    ● PCIe “goodies”
    – Extended configuration space (MMCFG)
    – PCIe native hotplug
    – Advanced Error Reporting (AER)
    – Alternative Routing-ID Interpretation (ARI)
    – Native Power Management
    – Function Level Reset (FLR)
    – Address Translation Services (ATS)
    ● AHCI storage controller
    ● vIOMMU emulation
    ● “Secure” Secure Boot

We can debate the actual value of these items.  Perhaps this will then
result in a "little technical benefit over i440fx for the majority of
guest deployments, regardless of guest OS" verdict.  That's okay.  What
doesn't work for me is making such sweeping claims without presenting
the evidence.