[libvirt] Emacs tip for easily adding Reviewed-by tags & friends

Bjoern Walk bwalk at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Tue Mar 20 10:12:12 UTC 2018

Daniel P. Berrangé <berrange at redhat.com> [2018-03-15, 11:36AM +0000]:
> It is nice that git has the short-hand for adding Signed-off-by, but
> adding other tags during reviews is kind of tedious and long winded.
> eg "ACK" is much shorter than typing "Reviewed-by: ...blah blah blah.."
>
> Good editors have a way to setup macros though, and so I thought I'd
> share the emacs approach to making life easy again...
>
> In my $HOME/.emacs.d/abbrev_defs file I have this:
>
> (define-abbrev-table 'global-abbrev-table
>   '(
>     ("8rev" "Reviewed-by: Daniel P. Berrangé <berrange at redhat.com>" nil 1)
>     ("8ack" "Acked-by: Daniel P. Berrangé <berrange at redhat.com>" nil 1)
>     ("8test" "Tested-by: Daniel P. Berrangé <berrange at redhat.com>" nil 1)
>     ("8sob" "Signed-off-by: Daniel P. Berrangé <berrange at redhat.com>" nil 1)
>    ))
>
> Now, if I type the "8rev" [1] and then hit space-bar or enter, emacs expands
> it to the full "Reviewed-by: ....blah blah blah..." line. This makes adding
> the full tags just as quick & easy as it was to type a traditional "ACK".
>
> Anyone have an equivalent tip for Vim ?

Yes:

    iabbrev ackby Acked-by: Bjoern Walk <bwalk at linux.vnet.ibm.com>
    iabbrev repby Reported-by: Bjoern Walk <bwalk at linux.vnet.ibm.com>
    iabbrev revby Reviewed-by: Bjoern Walk <bwalk at linux.vnet.ibm.com>
    iabbrev sigby Signed-off-by: Bjoern Walk <bwalk at linux.vnet.ibm.com>
    iabbrev suggby Suggested-by: Bjoern Walk <bwalk at linux.vnet.ibm.com>
    iabbrev testby Tested-by: Bjoern Walk <bwalk at linux.vnet.ibm.com>

Should work identical to the emacs version.

--
IBM Systems
Linux on Z & Virtualization Development