[libvirt] [Qemu-devel] Configuring pflash devices for OVMF firmware

Peter Maydell peter.maydell at linaro.org
Thu Jan 31 10:01:53 UTC 2019

On Thu, 31 Jan 2019 at 08:52, Markus Armbruster <armbru at redhat.com> wrote:
> Lesson for the future: when we correct something, but don't dare to
> touch (some) existing uses (being not "reasonably sure it doesn't
> actually break guests that used to work"), we should at least have
> enough sense to make "incorrect" opt-in rather than opt-out!  People
> adding new uses will be blissfully unaware of the need to opt-out, and
> the problem will multiply, just like it did here.

The theory was that pflash_cfi01_register() is the legacy
back-compat API, and new board models use new style
"create the device and set its properties longhand", I think.
(This is part of a wider issue that the preferred QOM APIs
tend to be more longwinded than the old obsolete helper
functions.) It's definitely unfortunate that we didn't
at least comment that that function shouldn't be used in
new boards.

The problem hasn't multiplied very much -- almost all the
users of pflash_cfi01_register() predate the change.

I'm not sure what an API that defaulted to 'correct' would
look like here, though.

thanks
-- PMM