[libvirt] mdevctl: A shoestring mediated device management and persistence utility

Daniel P. Berrangé berrange at redhat.com
Thu Jun 20 08:24:25 UTC 2019

On Wed, Jun 19, 2019 at 12:46:33PM -0600, Alex Williamson wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Jun 2019 11:46:59 +0200
> Cornelia Huck <cohuck at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 19 Jun 2019 08:28:02 +0100
> > Daniel P. Berrangé <berrange at redhat.com> wrote:

> > Hm, what's the difference between 'saved' and 'persistent'? That
> > 'saved' devices are not necessarily present?
>
> It seems like we're coming up with the following classes:
>
> 1) transient
>   a) mdevctl created
>   b) foreign
> 2) defined
>   a) automatic start-up
>   b) manual start-up
>
> I was using persistent for 2b), but that's probably not a good name
> because devices can still be stopped, so they're not really
> persistently available even in this class.

NB, for terminology  when libvirt calls something "persistent" it just
means that there's a configuration file recorded on disk, thus when you
stop the thing, you can still query its config & restart it from that
same config later.

The best solution for libvirt would be to cope with all 4 of those
classes. 1b is the least important for us, so not the end of the
world if it was missing.