[libvirt] Question about Windows builds

Erik Skultety eskultet at redhat.com
Tue Jun 11 07:45:16 UTC 2019

On Mon, Jun 10, 2019 at 09:23:15AM -0500, Christopher Loyd Nugent wrote:
> My name is Christopher Nugent.  This is my first time posting to the mailing
> list, and I am still adjusting to the community norms. If I do anything out
> of line, please let me know. Anyway, on to the question:
>
> I am attempting to use libvirt in a Windows application I am developing, and
> came upon the following in the documentation:
>

> Libvirt is known to work as a client (not server) on Windows XP (32-bit),
> and Windows 7 (64-bit).
>

> I am a bit confused as to what this means. Does it mean that I won't be able
> to use libvirt in a host configuration, Hyper-V acting as the underlying
> hypervisor?

Hi,
basically what that means is that libvirtd as a daemon cannot run on Windows,
and it's libvirtd acting as a server the clients are connecting to. However,
since you're planning on using Hyper-V as the underlying hypervisor, you don't
need libvirtd, you just need libvirt public API on the client side. That's
because Hyper-V is something we call stateless driver, IOW client-side only
driver which is shipped with the library. I suggest you look at the following
resource [1] to understand how connection to libvirtd works. Essentially, a
bunch of proprietary drivers do not need our libvirtd daemon to tunnel the
remote connection nor need the daemon to store a state of the VM.

[1] https://libvirt.org/api.html#Remote

Erik