[libvirt] New Feature: Intel MKTME Support

Daniel P. Berrangé berrange at redhat.com
Tue Mar 5 10:14:56 UTC 2019

On Mon, Mar 04, 2019 at 10:44:12PM +0000, Mohammed, Karimullah wrote:
> Hi Daniel,
>
> Thank you for answering our questions. We will soon send our design
> documentation for a review/discussion for MKTME enablement. This is
> not a complex feature , but in any case we wanted to start off with
> a design review , so that we get approved forehand for what we will
> be implementing.
>
> I would like to take liberty in asking you question related to Libvirt,
> I did ask this question in IRC channel did not get any responses.
>
> Can Libvirt directly make an kernel system call? i.e for a XML request
> if we have to make a kernel syscall, can we directly make kernel syscall
> in Libvirt or do we have to go through QEMU to process the request. We
> would like to know the norm of calling kernel system calls in Libvirt.

It is hard to give a general answer to that without understanding the
context of the system call in question.

Libvirt can certainly make arbitrary system calls as it needs. If the
system call is discovering information that has an impact on QEMU
functionality though, it may be better to query it via QEMU.

If you can provide more detail & usage context we can give a more useful
answer.