[libvirt] Contributing to Libvirt

Daniel P. Berrangé berrange at redhat.com
Tue Mar 12 10:56:11 UTC 2019

On Fri, Mar 08, 2019 at 03:40:10AM -0800, Dan Fries wrote:
> Hi Libvirt,
>
> It's often said that persistence and patience are the keys to success in
> life. I think persons managing content and marketing at Libvirt would be
> remiss for not trying out my work. Hoping to hear from you soon.

I don't know what happened to your previous mails. I saw notification that
they were blocked pending moderation, when when I went to approve them
mailman said they no longer exist, which suggests they were cancelled.
Anyway, I've whitelisted your email addr so future mails aren't blocked
for moderation.

> On Monday, March 4, 2019 at 7:36 AM, Dan Fries <dan at danfries.net> wrote:
>
> > Hello again Libvirt,
> >
> > Following up in case my previous message was lost or buried. Reiterating
> > my interest to contribute to Libvirt.
> >
> > Warmly,
> > Dan
> >
> > On Wednesday, February 27, 2019 at 3:27 AM, Dan Fries <dan at danfries.net>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Dear Libvirt,
> >>
> >> I hope you do not mind me contacting you directly, as I was given your
> >> email by a colleague. My name is Dan Fries, and I am a technical copywriter
> >> focused on the open source / free software community.
> >>
> >> I'm reaching out to you today in the hopes of writing for Libvirt. Is
> >> there any availability to contribute to the site as a guest author? I'm
> >> not seeking employment nor remuneration, only volunteer work.
> >>
> >> Thanks for your time and consideration.

The libvirt project has a couple of places where we do documentation

 - The main website https://libvirt.org  This is kept in the main
   GIT repo https://libvirt.org/git/?p=libvirt.git;a=tree;f=docs;hb=HEAD
   This is plain HTML, though we have talked about changing to use
   markdown in the past

 - Application development guides for C and Python APis

    https://libvirt.org/git/?p=libvirt-appdev-guide.git;a=summary
    https://libvirt.org/git/?p=libvirt-appdev-guide-python.git;a=summary

  The python guide has more content, but both a massively incomplete

 - Man pages for command line tools like virsh, again kept in GIT
   this time in POD format

   https://libvirt.org/git/?p=libvirt.git;a=blob;f=tools/virsh.pod;hb=HEAD

The challenge with any of these docs is that they need someone who is at
least somewhat familiar with libvirt itself, in order to get the knowledge
to write content.

Anyway if you want to contribute to any of these we would of course welcome
any help. Since they're all kept in git, we just accept patches for them
on this mailing list, the same way we handle code changes.