[libvirt] Time to drop support for Debian 8 (Jessie)?

Andrea Bolognani abologna at redhat.com
Thu Mar 28 16:37:43 UTC 2019

On Thu, 2019-03-28 at 15:50 +0000, Daniel P. Berrangé wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 28, 2019 at 04:39:37PM +0100, Andrea Bolognani wrote:
> > Note that I would not have a problem with adding a Debian sid or
> > Debian testing configuration (but see capacity): what I'm against is
> > specifically installing Debian testing and calling it "Debian 10",
> > because that's just not correct.
>
> Just because it is a pre-release doesn't make it not "Debian 10".
> It just means it hasn't been declared fully stable yet, but that's
> no worse than the unstable distros IMHO.

On a Debian 9 machine:

  $ cat /etc/os-release
  PRETTY_NAME="Debian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch)"
  NAME="Debian GNU/Linux"
  VERSION_ID="9"
  VERSION="9 (stretch)"
  ID=debian

On a fully up-to-date Debian testing machine:

  $ cat /etc/os-release
  PRETTY_NAME="Debian GNU/Linux buster/sid"
  NAME="Debian GNU/Linux"
  ID=debian

So clearly the Debian project doesn't consider it to be something
that can be called "Debian 10" (or even "Debian 10 alpha") quite
yet.

Unstable distributions are in a different ballpark entirely, since
they're designed to be in a constant state of flux and expectations
for users are clearly defined accordingly.