[libvirt] Running libvirtd out of source directory connection reset error

Peter Krempa pkrempa at redhat.com
Fri May 10 07:06:55 UTC 2019

On Thu, May 09, 2019 at 11:24:28 -0400, Peter P. wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm getting started with hacking around with libvirt  and am trying to
> familiarize myself with launching and running an instance of libvirtd
> I built from source on Centos 7.6.

Launching libvirt manually on distros with Selinux will not work
properly because the process will not have the correct label.

The most forward way to launch a custom libvirtd with proper label is to
build RPMs (make rpm) and install those.

For testing purposes it's also an option to switch selinux to
permissive but that will e.g. not allow you to test selinux related
changes. Also this is not a good idea to run in anything but development
environment.

> Following the instructions from https://libvirt.org/compiling.html to
> launch my built versions of libvirtd and virsh, I get the following
> error with no other context when trying to start a domain using "virsh
> start mydomain":
>
> error: Cannot recv data: Connection reset by peer

If you want to try developing libvirtd you should start by enabling
debug logging. That might also add some context here.

> Despite this error, I am able to run commands list virsh list.

You probably won't be able to start VMs.

> Are there additional parameters needed to launch libvirtd or
> additional services I need to start up alongside it?

You need at least virtlogd.