[libvirt] FYI mail problems for libvirt lists

Daniel P. Berrangé berrange at redhat.com
Tue Nov 19 10:00:05 UTC 2019

It has come to our attention that many, possibly even all, people with
non-redhat.com email addresses are unable to send mail to most libvirt
mailing lists, receiving bounce messages saying the address doesn't
exist eg

  Final-Recipient: rfc822; libvirt-users at redhat.com
  Action: failed
  Remote-MTA: dns; us-smtp-inbound-1.mimecast.com
  Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 550 Invalid Recipient -
    https://community.mimecast.com/docs/DOC-1369#550
    [boadZMN8PrGodBBK6pzKWg.us309]

In my testing, libvir-list at redhat.com is the only list that is currently
accepting incoming mail from non-redhat.com addresses.

I see bounces from libvirt-users at redhat.com, libvirt-ci at redhat.com,
libvirt-announce at redhat.com and libvirt-security at redhat.com, as well
as from the undocumented alias libvirt-list at redhat.com

We believe outgoing mail delivery is still working normally in all
cases.

The problems appear to be caused by some changes that Red Hat
administrators made to the email infrastructure recently.

We have a severity 1 ticket open for this issue and are taking all
possible steps to escalate it & get it resolved at the soonest
opportunity.

In the mean time if any users need assistance with libvirt questions,
please feel free to ignore our normal guidance and use the main development
list libvir-list at redhat.com for questions, as this appears to still be
working.

Alternatively you can use IRC #virt on irc.oftc.net

If you need to report any security issues with libvirt, please try the
libvirt-security at redhat.com list first, but if you get a bounce then
email myself directly.

Please accept our apologies for the disruption this is causing to the
libvirt mailing lists.