[libvirt] [RFC] Accepting PRs/MRs for libvirt on GitHub/GitLab

Ján Tomko jtomko at redhat.com
Wed Oct 16 15:03:31 UTC 2019

On Wed, Oct 16, 2019 at 02:22:56PM +0200, Andrea Bolognani wrote:
>First of all, we'd remove the ominous message from GitHub mirror
>repositories (interestingly, the same is not present on GitLab).

Well if you're using GitLab then you're already aware of the fact that
not everything is hosted on GitHub.

>Then, we'd starting accepting PRs/MRs. The way we'd handle them is
>that, when one comes in, one among the handful of core developers who
>volunteered to do so would review the patches on the respective
>platform, working with the submitter to get it into shape just like
>they would do on the mailing list; once the series is finally ready
>to be merged, the core developer would update the PR/MR as necessary,
>for example picking up R-bs or fixing the kind of trivial issues that
>usually don't warrant a repost, and then push to master as usual.
>
>More in detail: GitHub and GitLab have a feature that allows project
>members to update PRs/MRs: basically the way it works is that, if the
>PR/MR was created by the user 'foo' from their branch 'bar', the
>libvirt developer is allowed to (force-)push to the foo/libvirt/bar
>branch, and doing so updates the corresponding PR/MR; after that, if
>the updated branch is locally merged into master and master is pushed
>to the libvirt.org repo, once it gets mirrored GitHub/GitLab will
>recognize that the commit IDs match and automatically mark the PR/MR
>as merged. I have tested this behavior on both platforms (minus the
>mirroring part) with Martin's help.
>
>One last important bit. In the spirit of not requiring core
>developers to alter their workflow, the developer who reviewed the
>patches on GitHub/GitLab will also be responsible to format them to
>the mailing list after merging them: this way, even those who don't
>have a GitHub/GitLab account will get a chance to take notice of the
>code changes and weigh in. Unlike what we're used to, this feedback
>will come after the fact, but assuming that issues are spotted only
>at that point we can either push the relevant fixes as follow-up
>commits or even revert the series outright, so I don't feel like it
>would be a massive problem overall.

Here it deviates from the usual mailing list workflow where the patch
has (in theory) a chance to be seen by all the developers.

But given that the requests will probably
a) be close to trivial
b) seen by a group of developers, not just one

sending it to the mailing list after it's pushed is better treatment
than our language bindings get.

Jano