SRPMs as download artifacts (was: Re: libvirt Source RPMs for CentOS or RHEL?)

Andrea Bolognani abologna at redhat.com
Thu Apr 2 09:24:25 UTC 2020

[moving to libvir-list]

On Thu, 2020-04-02 at 09:41 +0100, Daniel P. Berrangé wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 02, 2020 at 08:47:30AM +0800, FuLong Wang wrote:
> > Do we have libvirt source rpms (version above 5.9.0) for CentOS or RHEL?
> >
> > I only find source rpms for fedora in below public link.
> >
> > https://libvirt.org/sources/
>
> Please ignore all the RPMs you see there, they really shouldn't be
> used.

Can we just stop generating them?

And get rid of all the existing ones, especially silly stuff like
the binary RPMs from 2013 targeting Fedora 17. This will have the
additional benefit of making it easier to find what you're looking
for, since it will no longer be hidden among a heap of irrelevant
garbage.

> The source tarballs (eg libvirt-5.9.0.tar.xz) contain a spec file
> inside.
>
> This means you can generate RPMs for your precise distro using something
> akin to the following commands:
>
>  $ rpmbuild -ts libvirt-5.9.0.tar.xz
>  $ sudo dnf install redhat-rpm-config
>  $ sudo dnf builddep $HOME/rpmbuild/SRPMS/libvirt-5.9.0-1.fc31.src.rpm
>  $ rpmbuild --rebuild  $HOME/rpmbuild/SRPMS/libvirt-5.9.0-1.fc31.src.rpm

I think it would make sense to document this quick procedure
somewhere, if we haven't already. There's some obvious overlap with
our 'make rpm' target, but that one requires unpacking the release
archive and running configure beforehand, so it's not quite as nice
for someone who just wants to quickly get a working set of RPMs.