Wiki page audit - possible page deleteion

Daniel P. Berrangé berrange at redhat.com
Wed Apr 8 15:45:46 UTC 2020

Ideally I would like to decomission the current wiki.libvirt.org
site. It is based on mediawiki running on openshift and has myself
as a single point of failure.

GitLab provides a wiki, but I don't think we need to use that
either, as I think that it is desirable to bring the content into
our main website.

By putting an "edit this page" link on each page of our website,
users can quickly see what source to change. There is still the
burden of submitting a merge request & having review feedback,
but I think we could mitigate this by having the reviewer
actually make the changes they want directly, avoiding the
tedious back & forth updates in easy cases. GitLab allows
this if the person opening the merge request selects the
option to allow maintainers to edit code.

In any case, to remove wiki.libvirt.org we need to do something
with its current content. The majority of content was first
created 5-10 years ago, only a handful of pages get frequent
edits right now:

   https://wiki.libvirt.org/index.php?title=Special:RecentChanges&limit=500&days=90

Looking at the pages I see some key groups, so I'll talk
about them separately...

A set of "Troubleshooting" guides supposedly describing common
problems and their suggested solution. Some of these still apply
but others will be outdated, so we need to decide which to keep.
Yes we really do have multiple spellings of the same page in
many cases

    After import a guest from an existing disk image using virt-install, the guest starting stalls with "No boot device"
    Common XML errors
    Could not add rule to fixup DHCP response checksums on network 'default'
    Creating VMWare ESXi domain failed with error "this function is not supported by the connection driver: virDomainCreateXML"
    Determining version information
    Determining version information, dealing with "unknown procedure"
    Different Processor Model Determined
    Different processor model determined
    Domain cannot be installed
    Domain starting fails with Error "monitor socket did not show up"
    Error "internal error cannot find character device" when trying to connect a domain's console
    Failed to connect to the hypervisor
    Guest can reach host, but can't reach outside network
    Guest can reach outside network, but can't reach host (macvtap)
    Guest won't start - warning: could not open /dev/net/tun ('generic ethernet' interface)
    I created an external snapshot, but libvirt will not let me delete or revert to it
    I created an external snapshot, but libvirt won't let me delete or revert to it
    Libvirt daemon is not listening on tcp ports although configured to
    Libvirt identifies host processor as a different model from the hardware documentation
    Migration fails because disk image cannot be found
    Migration fails with "Unable to resolve address" error
    No guest machines are present
    PXE boot (or dhcp) on guest failed
    The daemon cannot be started
    The domain cannot be started when specifying different processor
    TroubleshootMacvtapHostFail
    Troubleshooting
    Unable to add bridge br0 port vnet0: No such device
    Unable to connect to console of a running domain
    Virtual network "default" has not been started
    Virtual network 'default' has not been started

Some illustrated guides to TLS cert creation. We already have a
page https://libvirt.org/tlscerts.html and the wiki duplicates
much of the info there. One difference is that the wiki also
describes the gtk-vnc/spice-gtk/qemu cert setup, not merely
libvirt.  We should really consolidate into our main website
though, as its confusing to have two separate docs for the
same tasks

    TLSCreateCACert
    TLSCreateCACertSteps
    TLSCreateClientCerts
    TLSCreateServerCerts
    TLSDaemonConfiguration
    TLSFurtherReferences
    TLSSetup
    HostCommTLSSetup
    VNCTLSSetup

Various GSoC pages, the per-year pages, and for 2016 only
some reports from the contributors. Most of the latter is
outdated info that's no longer really relevant, so I'd
probablyjust delete the last 4 pages, and move the rest
to the main site.

    Google Summer of Code 2016
    Google Summer of Code 2017
    Google Summer of Code 2018
    Google Summer of Code 2019
    Google Summer of Code FAQ
    Google Summer of Code Ideas
    Google Summer of Code 2016/Abstracting device address allocation
    Google Summer of Code 2016/Asynchronous lifecycle events for storage objects
    Google Summer of Code 2016/Making virsh more bash like
    Google Summer of Code 2016/lxc migration

Some graphically illustrated guides to virtmanager. These
never belonged here, and should be part of virt-manager website
if they're really still desired.  The screenshots are from an
ancient version though, so I figure we can just delete them.

    TaskIsolatedNetworkSetupVirtManager
    TaskNATSetupVirtManager
    TaskRoutedNetworkSetupVirtManager
    CreatingNewVM in VirtualMachineManager
    DeletingVirtualMachine in VirtualMachineManager
    VirtualNetworking
    SSHSetup

Some old pages containing a "todo" list, which we stopped
updating a long time ago. Many of the ideas are not things
we'd want to implement today so serve to mislead people.
Propose to delete them all

    Todo
    TodoAMQPAgent
    TodoAsynchronousJobs
    TodoAvahiTXTSupport
    TodoConcurrentConnectionPtr
    TodoDaemonMultithreading
    TodoDaemonRestart
    TodoDriverKVM
    TodoEvents
    TodoFineGrainedSecurity
    TodoHostDevicePassthru
    TodoHostDevices
    TodoModules
    TodoNICBonding
    TodoNICMultipath
    TodoNetworkTopologyDiscovery
    TodoPackages
    TodoPoolBasedConfigs
    TodoPreMigrationChecks
    TodoSecureMigration
    TodoStorageSCSI
    TodoVMSnapshots
    TodoVirtViewerSecurity
    TodoWindowsSupport

Stuff related to Cimtest, largely pages containing results form test runs
from ancient distros. I propose to delete all of this as its irrelevant
even if someone was still interested in cimtest today.

    Cimtest
    Cimtest buglist
    Cimtest setup
    Cimtest test info
    Cimtest testruns
    Cimtest todo
    KVM F10
    KVM F11
    KVM F12
    KVM F13
    KVM F9
    KVM current
    KVM current Fedora rawhide
    KVM current SLES11
    KVM current sources on RHEL5.4
    KVM on current sources - older test results
    LXC current
    XenFV current
    XenFV current 53
    XenFV current Fedora
    XenFV rpm
    XenPV current
    XenPV current 53
    XenPV current Fedora
    XenPV rpm
    XenPV rpm 54

Various misc pages that I've not spent too much time looking at each
page, but as a rough approx I'd keep the following list, pulling it
into the main website

    BiteSizedTasks
    DebugLogs
    Debugging
    Libvirt-snmp
    Libvirtd and dnsmasq
    Live-disk-backup-with-active-blockcommit
    Live-merge-an-entire-disk-image-chain-including-current-active-disk
    Maintenance Releases
    NPIV in libvirt
    Net.bridge-nf-call and sysctl.conf
    Net.bridge.bridge-nf-call and sysctl.conf
    Networking
    Qemu guest agent
    SSHPolicyKitSetup
    VM lifecycle
    Vhost-scsi target

And probably delete the following (though some might want
preserving upon closer inspection)

    AprilFools'
    AreasToFocusOnTesting
    DocsToDo