device compatibility interface for live migration with assigned devices

Yan Zhao yan.y.zhao at intel.com
Mon Aug 10 07:46:31 UTC 2020

On Wed, Aug 05, 2020 at 12:53:19PM +0200, Jiri Pirko wrote:
> [...]
> >   device id : device id of a physical devices or mdev's parent pci device.
> >               it could be equal to pci id for pci devices
> >   aggregator: used together with mdev_type. e.g. aggregator=2 together
> >               with i915-GVTg_V5_4 means 2*1/4=1/2 of a gen9 Intel
> >	       graphics device.
> >   remote_url: for a local NVMe VF, it may be configured with a remote
> >               url of a remote storage and all data is stored in the
> >	       remote side specified by the remote url.
> >
> >Comparing those attributes by user space alone is not an easy job, as it
> >can't simply assume an equal relationship between source attributes and
> >target attributes. e.g.
> >for a source device of mdev_type=i915-GVTg_V5_4,aggregator=2, (1/2 of
> >gen9), it actually could find a compatible device of
> >mdev_type=i915-GVTg_V5_8,aggregator=4 (also 1/2 of gen9),
> >if mdev_type of i915-GVTg_V5_4 is not available in the target machine.
> >
> >So, in our current proposal, we want to create two sysfs attributes
> >under a device sysfs node.
> >/sys/<path to device>/migration/self
> >/sys/<path to device>/migration/compatible
> >
> >#cat /sys/<path to device>/migration/self
> >device_type=vfio_pci
> >mdev_type=i915-GVTg_V5_4
> >device_id=8086591d
> >aggregator=2
> >software_version=1.0.0
> >
> >#cat /sys/<path to device>/migration/compatible
> >device_type=vfio_pci
> >mdev_type=i915-GVTg_V5_{val1:int:2,4,8}
> >device_id=8086591d
> >aggregator={val1}/2
> >software_version=1.0.0
> >
> >The /sys/<path to device>/migration/self specifies self attributes of
> >a device.
> >The /sys/<path to device>/migration/compatible specifies the list of
> >compatible devices of a device. as in the example, compatible devices
> >could have
> >	device_type == vfio_pci &&
> >	device_id == 8086591d   &&
> >	software_version == 1.0.0 &&
> >        (
> >	(mdev_type of i915-GVTg_V5_2 && aggregator==1) ||
> >	(mdev_type of i915-GVTg_V5_4 && aggregator==2) ||
> >	(mdev_type of i915-GVTg_V5_8 && aggregator=4)
> >	)
> >
> >by comparing whether a target device is in compatible list of source
> >device, the user space can know whether a two devices are live migration
> >compatible.
> >
> >Additional notes:
> >1)software_version in the compatible list may not be necessary as it
> >already has a major.minor.bugfix scheme.
> >2)for vendor attribute like remote_url, it may not be statically
> >assigned and could be changed with a device interface.
> >
> >So, as Cornelia pointed that it's not good to use complex format in
> >a sysfs attribute, we'd like to know whether there're other good ways to
> >our use case, e.g. splitting a single attribute to multiple simple sysfs
> >attributes as what Cornelia suggested or devlink that Jason has strongly

Hi Jiri,
> Thanks for the explanation, I'm still fuzzy about the details.
> Anyway, I suggest you to check "devlink dev info" command we have
> implemented for multiple drivers. You can try netdevsim to test this.
> I think that the info you need to expose might be put there.
do you mean drivers/net/netdevsim/ ?

> Devlink creates instance per-device. Specific device driver calls into
> devlink core to create the instance.  What device do you have? What
the devlink core is net/core/devlink.c ?

> driver is it handled by?

It looks that the devlink is for network device specific, and in
devlink.h, it says
include/uapi/linux/devlink.h - Network physical device Netlink
interface, I feel like it's not very appropriate for a GPU driver to use
this interface. Is that right?

Thanks
Yan