On the need to move to a merge request workflow

Peter Krempa pkrempa at redhat.com
Tue Mar 17 07:52:04 UTC 2020

On Fri, Mar 06, 2020 at 11:44:07 +0000, Daniel Berrange wrote:
> We've discussed the idea of replacing our mailing list review workflow with
> a merge request workflow in various places, over the last 6 months or so,
> but never made a concrete decision.

One other thing that worries me about this is that we've finally
established a way close to qemu developers for notifying us if they are
going to deprecate something or change something important.

With moving development to some random web page with non-standard
interfaces this will just mean that the notifications in this process
will either stay on the old mailing list or be forgotten if we don't act
on them.

Moving development to some other place will in this regard just mean
that we'll have to watch two places at the same time.

While this seems to be a very low impact thing, the advantages of the
new process you've outlined will only ever apply to drive-by
contributors. Anybody wanting to take it seriously will necessarily need
to subscribe to the mailing list anyways.

In the end I just don't want to destroy the relationship with qemu
developers by not acting on the notifications of change they send to us.