Status of iSER support.

Peter Krempa pkrempa at redhat.com
Tue May 12 06:33:27 UTC 2020

On Tue, May 12, 2020 at 08:08:28 +0200, David Schweizer wrote:
> Hello Peter,
>
> Thank you for your answer.
>
> The problem is that i would like to use the feature in a production
> environment and can not rely on out of tree patches.

Well, you certainly can contribute in having them merged. Even testing
is a contribution.

> In regard to my question i conclude the following:
> - There is currently no support for iSER storage objects in libvirt.

No.

> - There will not be support for iSER storage objects in the next few
> libvirt releases.

Depends on the status of the patches. I've reviewed them yesterday and I
don't agree with the design. If you have more knowledge of how those
things work, even explaining them is a contribution to possbily adding
the feature.

> Which for me, at least at the moment, means dropping iSER/IB, using
> iSCSI/TCP/IPoIB and loosing some performance or using a commercially
> available hypervisor.

Well, for us that means that we don't have anybody willing to give input
on the feature. I don't have experience nor hardware for testing it and
don't have knowledge on how e.g. addressing works.