[Libvirt-announce] [libvirt] ANNOUNCE: Stable release libvirt-0.9.11.2

Daniel Veillard veillard at redhat.com
Wed May 2 03:19:15 UTC 2012

  Now http://libvirt.org/sources/stable_updates/libvirt-0.9.11.2.tar.gz

> >>Is there any particular reason that the project is using the same naming
> >>convention for stable releases? It appears to be a minor revision update
> >>from the standard release cycle. From an outsiders prospective, I don't
> >>know how anyone would think that 0.9.11.2 is not a standard update from
> >>0.9.11, as there is no distinction in either the name from the distributed
> >>file, or documentation (unless I missed it denoted specifically on
> >>libvirt.org).
> >>
> >>Would there be any objection to using a distribution file name
> >>libvirt-stable-0.9.11.2.tar.gz ?
> >>
> >>To me, it is confusing, but that is just my opinion.
> >>
> >>Thanks,
> >>Jason
> >>

> >Don't change the tarball name like that. That would just plain suck
> >and be different than how 99% of projects out there do things.
> >

> Ok, but having the same download path is just as confusing, as it looks like
> an update to 0.9.11, when it is a different release.

  Okay, I created a stable_updates subdirectory on the download area
(Cole you own it !) and moved the 3 existing releases there.
 I think that:
   - avoid confusion with usual releases
   - makes clear that they are updates
   - remove the need to change the names or releases
i.e. it resolves the confusion in the simplest way and allow to point
to the exact location for each content.

 Cole, would you mind updating the docs to point to that new
 sub-directory ?

   thanks,

Daniel