[Libvirt-cim] Xen_ComputerSystem RequestStateChange

Dan Smith danms at us.ibm.com
Wed Jul 2 00:21:20 UTC 2008

KR> Right now, shutdown isn't supported.  The DMTF Virtual System Profile
KR> lists an extra step for shutdown - the provider needs to tell the
KR> software running on the guest to shutdown.  Once the software has
KR> terminated its tasks and shut itself down, the provider then treats
KR> the shutdown action in the same manner it treats disable.

KR> The steps to indicate to the guest that the OS needs to shutdown are
KR> involved.  This is probably out of the project's scope, for awhile at
KR> least.

KR> It would be possible to have shutdown and disable behave the same way,
KR> but that wouldn't conform to the DMTF profile.

KR> Dan - thoughts?

For paravirt Xen, issuing the shutdown command actually triggers an
action in the guest kernel to start a shutdown (which becomes the
equivalent of "shutdown -h now").  For fullvirt and KVM guests, a
shutdown action should be simulated via ACPI (the equivalent of
pushing the power button on an ACPI-enabled physical machine).  I
think I recall there being some plumbing issues to make this really
work for KVM guests, but I think we should assume that it works.

From what I can tell, requesting the shutdown state is equivalent to
requesting the disabled state from our perspective.  It would be
trivial to make both of these target states perform the same action
and have the same result.

Doing so seems reasonable to me... anybody have a comment about this?

--
Dan Smith
IBM Linux Technology Center
email: danms at us.ibm.com