[Libvirt-cim] CimTest Report for KVM on F9 23-07-2008

Dan Smith danms at us.ibm.com
Fri Jul 25 20:15:11 UTC 2008

DK> 1)
DK> The XML config file is *just enough* to *define *the guest but not
DK> start it.
DK> I manually tried to define the guest with the above XML and I was able
DK> to define it, but when I tried to start the defined guest it failed
DK> with the following error:

DK> *virsh start 40_test_domain*
DK> libvir: QEMU error : internal error QEMU quit during console startup
DK> error: Failed to start domain 40_test_domain

DK> The only problem with the above XML file is the *Memory and
DK> currentMemory *being set to* 0.

That's a pretty big problem.  Why is this marked as XFAIL?  This
should be failing, and needs to be fixed ASAP.

When I define a KVM guest through the providers manually, I get a
correctly-set memory value.  Is this an error in the test?

DK> *I then assigned *1024* in place of *0* for *Memory and
DK> currentMemory *and I was able to define and start the domain.  I
DK> was able to start the domain only when both the values *Memory and
DK> currentMemory *were not equal to *0*.

DK> The *Memory and currentMemory *being 0 is not a problem in case of Xen
DK> and XenFV.
DK> I tried checking the difference and the limitation for this field on
DK> libvirt.org, but was not much successful.

Yeah, it's not expected to do anything at all if given 0 memory.

DK> 2) I found one more peculiar problem, even though I was able to
DK> successfully define KVM domain either using tc or manually, or
DK> started the KVM guest using the virsh, I was not find any info
DK> using the virsh -c qemu:///system list --all. Can this be a
DK> problem with my machine ?  I was able to use virsh for other
DK> guests though.

I don't see that, and obviously if you're seeing it with a manual
virsh define, then something else is broken.

--
Dan Smith
IBM Linux Technology Center
email: danms at us.ibm.com