[libvirt-users] busy loop in libvirtd (cpu usage 100%)

Igor Serebryany igor47 at moomers.org
Thu Dec 16 12:19:41 UTC 2010

On Mon, Dec 06, 2010 at 11:11:08AM +0000, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> This is the kind of problem you need to use GDB to diagnose. Install
> the libvirt-debuginfo (or equivalent for non-Fedora),

This in itself was going to be a problem, because I hand-compiled
libvirt from source (even in debian squeeze I think the version of
libvirt is too old).

I attempted to convert the rpms for FC12 distributed on the libvirt site
into debian packages using alien. I'm surprised to report that this
appears to work -- the rpm binary is stable and everything is still
working.

I had to spend some time manually resolving library dependencies. Two
hacks:

1) I had to symlink libaudit.so.0 to libaudit.so.1 since .1 doesn't
exist on debian squeeze. I figured this was a difference in version
which would probably cause problems, but I'm not using audits anyway

2) I symlinked the python bindings into the python 2.6 package
directory, but it looks like 2.7 is not strictly required

I also had to install netcf-libs from rpm because no equivalent exists
on debian.

I've installed the debug symbols rpm package as well, so if I do see the
problem again I'll be able to gdb it. However it seems 0.8.6 doesn't
have whatever bug that was, because I haven't been able to reproduce it.

--Igor