[libvirt-users] Anyone interested in forming a libvirt "docs" team?

Justin Clift jclift at redhat.com
Tue Dec 21 17:26:43 UTC 2010

On 22/12/2010, at 3:23 AM, Scott Baker wrote:
> On 12/21/2010 03:15 AM, Anthony Davis wrote:
>> Hi Justin,
>>
>> I can offer some free time:)
>
> I'd be willing to contribute to a wiki if we had the docs in a wiki.

Yeah I know what you mean.  Wiki's are *so* much easier to work with and revise, compared
to having to code in html then submit diffs as patches.

At the moment, the "main" libvirt docs are written in html and included with each release tarball.

It makes sure everyone who downloads the tarball has a copy, but it doesn't make them easy
to edit. :/

Some of the things that need documenting though, are definitely able to be written up into
a wiki first to get them into shape.  We could then move the things that are "finished" in the
wiki to the main tarball (after converting to html).

I personally do similar to this anyway for lots of things, as I find getting info onto a wiki first
allows me to refine, refine, refine, until I'm happy with it.  Then it can go anywhere.

This is the first tentative Docs Team To Do list page (on the wiki even), just whipped up
using the contents of a reply to Anthony:

  http://wiki.libvirt.org/page/DocsToDo

Stuff that I reckon would be suitable for writing on the wiki generally fall into the second and
third categories there, of things that need either some OS level knowledge (for investigating
non Fedora-RHEL paths), or for writing up concepts around Storage, Networking, or similar.

You up for it? :)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift