[libvirt-users] /dev/pts linking option?

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Wed Feb 24 07:41:56 UTC 2010

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 08:14:12PM -0500, Jon Masters wrote:
> Folks,
>
> Does anyone know whether libvirt provides a means for me to guarantee a
> persistent link for my guest's virtual serial console? I need to have a
> consistent mapping (for example, a symlink that always points to the
> correct /dev/pts entry) so I can automate kgdb hookup on boot.

The /dev/pts path for a guest is always recorded in the XML, so just query
the XML file for it once it is running to discover the allocated path, or
use the convenient 'virsh ttyconsole' command which prints just the path
immediately.

Daniel
--
|: Red Hat, Engineering, London    -o-   http://people.redhat.com/berrange/ :|