[libvirt-users] Dual-boot and also use raw disk in virtual machine

Richard Walker walkerrichardj at gmail.com
Mon Jun 7 04:39:28 UTC 2010

On 2 June 2010 13:18, Richard Walker <walkerrichardj at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Have you told windows not to automatically reboot at BSOD, so you can read
>> what's causing the BSOD?  It may specifically list the cause (ie a specific
>> driver?) on the BSOD screen, and you may be able to work around it.
>
> I have now . . . good tip.  It seems I get one of the standard messages:
> *** STOP: 0x0000007B (0xFFFFF880009A9928, ...)
> which appears to indicate an inability to "find" the disk.
>
> I will take a note of the drivers that are currently installed, then
> do another fresh "native" install and try to add the extra drivers
> manually.
>
> Is there any significance to the apparently "broken" partition table
> entries?  Probably yes . . . I will do some more investigation of
> that too.

Many days later, many hours spent . . .

And at last . . . success!

There are hints floating about on the web; it was
just a matter of finding the right one.

I made a fresh install into a VM so I could compare
registry keys.

In:
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services
there are some differences between the native
install and the VM install.  In the native
install, intelide's Start setting is 3, and
pciide's Start setting is 0.  In the fresh install
into a VM, those settings are reversed.

So in the native install I set intelide's
Start setting to 0 (i.e., to enable it).
I didn't touch pciide's Start setting.

Reboot natively - still boots (a relief!).
And then it also booted as a VM!

After logging in, the drivers for the virtual
devices (except audio) were installed OK.
I can now switch between booting natively
and booting as a VM.  There's now no sign of
driver installation when switching.

So far so good . . .