[libvirt-users] libvirtd loses all of its data after restart

guido guido-libvi at unknownsite.de
Wed May 5 17:27:23 UTC 2010

Hi,

I'm having a problem with libvirtd (backend being kvm) losing its if I restart
it with /etc/init.d/libvirtd restart.

What I did was:
 Start libvirtd
 Connect to it using virsh
 Create a new storage pool with pool-create-as
 Create some volumes with vol-create-as
 Create some virtual machines with create
 Restart libvirtd using /etc/init.d/libvirtd restart
 Reconnect with virsh

After this, all the previously defined pools, volumes and virtual machines
would no longer be listed with pool-list or list, respectively. (list --all
doesn't show anything either)
The virtual machines I had started earlier are still running and I can still
connect to them using vnc, but obviously, I can no longer manage them using
libvirt.

Why is this happening? Is libvirtd's data not supposed to be persistent? Is
this maybe just an old bug? How can I get the still running virtual machines
back under control?

The system I'm using for this is a recently installed CentOS 5.4 with
libvirt-0.6.3-20.1.el5_4 installed directly from its package repository. The
only changes I made from the vanilla install was to install and configure some
SSL certs in /etc/libvirt/libvirtd.conf, as described on the libvirt website
and to enable LIBVIRTD_ARGS="--listen" in /etc/sysconfig/libvirtd.

	Guido

--
Too much multitasking isn't good for you.