[libvirt-users] libvirtd loses all of its data after restart

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Wed May 5 17:44:38 UTC 2010

On Wed, May 05, 2010 at 07:27:23PM +0200, guido wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm having a problem with libvirtd (backend being kvm) losing its if I restart
> it with /etc/init.d/libvirtd restart.
>
> What I did was:
>  Start libvirtd
>  Connect to it using virsh
>  Create a new storage pool with pool-create-as
>  Create some volumes with vol-create-as
>  Create some virtual machines with create
>  Restart libvirtd using /etc/init.d/libvirtd restart
>  Reconnect with virsh
>
> After this, all the previously defined pools, volumes and virtual machines
> would no longer be listed with pool-list or list, respectively. (list --all
> doesn't show anything either)
> The virtual machines I had started earlier are still running and I can still
> connect to them using vnc, but obviously, I can no longer manage them using
> libvirt.
>
> Why is this happening? Is libvirtd's data not supposed to be persistent? Is
> this maybe just an old bug? How can I get the still running virtual machines
> back under control?
>
> The system I'm using for this is a recently installed CentOS 5.4 with
> libvirt-0.6.3-20.1.el5_4 installed directly from its package repository. The
> only changes I made from the vanilla install was to install and configure some
> SSL certs in /etc/libvirt/libvirtd.conf, as described on the libvirt website
> and to enable LIBVIRTD_ARGS="--listen" in /etc/sysconfig/libvirtd.

The version of libvirtd you have does not support seemless restarts of
the daemon  process while resources are active. You should shutdown all
guests / storage pools before restarting the libvirtd daemon, or better
yet, don't restart it at all.

libvirt 0.7.x was the first series supporting restarts with stuff running

Daniel
--
|: Red Hat, Engineering, London    -o-   http://people.redhat.com/berrange/ :|
|: http://libvirt.org -o- http://virt-manager.org -o- http://deltacloud.org :|