[libvirt-users] Host should not touch passed-through USB device, how?

Andreas Ntaflos daff at pseudoterminal.org
Fri May 28 18:09:00 UTC 2010

Hello list,

this may be off topic but it is closely related to my Libvirt adventures
so maybe you can help me.

I want to pass a USB device (a USB Huawei E620 modem) through to a KVM
guest. Pass-through in general works fine and the modem is visible in
the guest. However, the host still sees it and sometimes tries to access
it (such modems seem to also be USB storage devices). This naturally
leads to conflicts and I believe this crashed the guest very badly
yesterday.

So I am looking for a way to make sure the host passes through the USB
device (in its entirety) without trying to touch it and claim it as its
own. Preferably without disabling the USB storage subsystem completely
on the host.

Any ideas? Is there a best practice for such things in the Libvirt
world? Or any other world?

Thanks!

Andreas
--
Andreas Ntaflos

GPG Fingerprint: 6234 2E8E 5C81 C6CB E5EC  7E65 397C E2A8 090C A9B4