[libvirt-users] driver type for .vdi images?

Benjamin Hagemann benny at benny.de
Thu Nov 18 10:17:07 UTC 2010

Hello libvirt experts,

I use libvirt (0.7.5-5ubuntu27.7) with KVM / qemu (0.12.3+noroms-0ubuntu9.2).
Some machines use raw images but same use Virtualbox images (.vdi).
Since last Ubuntu 10.04 LTS update I can not start the vdi-images.

The "driver name= type=" option was new.

  <devices>
    <emulator>/usr/bin/kvm</emulator>
    <disk type='file' device='disk'>

      <driver name='qemu' type='vdi'/>

      <source file='/path/image.vdi'/>
      <target dev='hda' bus='ide'/>
    </disk>

But when I try "type=vdi" I got in the Log-File:

  libvir: Security Labeling error : error calling aa_change_profile()

so I checked:

  cat vdi-machine.xml | /usr/lib/libvirt/virt-aa-helper -r --uuid
libvirt-XXXXXXXX-XXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX --dryrun -p 0
  libvir: Domain Config error : internal error unknown disk format 'vdi'
for image.vdi
  virt-aa-helper: error: invalid VM definition

Next I checked libvirt.org:
http://libvirt.org/storage.html

  Valid volume format types
  raw, bochs, cloop, cow, dmg, iso, qcow, qcow2, vmdk, vpc

=> But what is the right type for .vdi-Images?

By the way, the examples at this site does not know the "driver name=
type=" option.

Thank you very much.

--
Kind regards,