[libvirt-users] Status of libvirtd on BSD/OSX?

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Wed Sep 8 17:22:46 UTC 2010

On Wed, Sep 08, 2010 at 09:56:51AM -0700, Mitchell Hashimoto wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've done some research prior to this and the answer is clear that libvirtd
> doesn't compile on BSD or OSX, but I'd like to know more details about this,
> if I can have a bit of your time:
>
> * Are there any current efforts to get libvirtd running on BSD?
> * What are the blockers to getting it running?
> * My main goal is really to, at first only control VirtualBox, so
> KVM/Xen/etc is not an issue.
>
> I realize that KVM and some other hypervisors obviously can't be supported
> on BSD, but if I could just start by compiling libvirtd for VirtualBox on
> BSD that would be a big win in and of itself.

NB, virtualbox does not require libvirtd if you only care about local
access. If you want remote access, then obviously it would be needed.

There isn't any particular reason why libvirtd shouldn't work on any
UNIX based OS. If there are any Linux-isms in there, they're purely
accidental. The only platform where porting libvirtd will be hard
is Windows. Best to just enable libvirtd and then post details of the
compilation errors you get to the libvir-list mailing list

Daniel
--
|: Red Hat, Engineering, London    -o-   http://people.redhat.com/berrange/ :|
|: http://libvirt.org -o- http://virt-manager.org -o- http://deltacloud.org :|