[libvirt-users] libvirt with multiple users

Zach Tibbitts zachtib at gmail.com
Tue Sep 21 03:58:20 UTC 2010

Hi,

I'm trying to set up a virtual machine server for our newly re-founded LUG
at my school. The idea is for members to have their own virtual machine that
they can learn their way around a Linux system without worry of them hosing
the host system or their own computers.

At home I use libvirt with my server to manage multiple virtual machines,
but the issue I'm running into for this use case is user permissions. As far
as I've seen, anyone who has access to the server over ssh and has access to
the libvirt server via virt-manager has access to all of the virtual
machines. I'd like to find some way for each user to only see their own
virtual machine. Is this possible?

I've considered setting up VMs myself, and giving them direct access via ssh
or VNC, but I'd like them to have access to the console so that they can
attach things like CD images to their VMs for reinstalling or changing
distros.

Is there a way to get libvirt to do what I need here?

Thanks much,

Zach Tibbitts