[libvirt-users] Migration hangs on Gentoo with KVM

Jonathan Stoppani jonathan at stoppani.name
Tue Aug 2 00:01:55 UTC 2011

On Aug 1, 2011, at 16:50 , Jonathan Stoppani wrote:

> On Aug 1, 2011, at 16:33 , Eric Blake wrote:
>
>> [re-adding the list]
>
> Sorry about that, still not used to mailman lists which don't put the list address in the reply-to field. ;-)
>
>>> Thanks for the prompt answer Eric! Yes, nc has a q option:
>>>
>>> -q, --hold-timeout=SEC1[:SEC2]   Set hold timeout(s) for local [and remote]
>>
>> Glad to hear that we found root cause to your problems, then.
>>

>>> The bug specifically refers to ssh, does that mean that it should work over tcp?
>>
>> The problem is that libvirt is trying to start a remote nc session over ssh; but looking at http://libvirt.org/remote.html, it looks like ssh is the only protocol using nc in that manner (so yes, you can probably avoid the issue by using tcp or tls).  Meanwhile, I think you can work around it without patching libvirt, by using this as your remote URI:
>>
>> qemu+ssh://user@remotehost/system?netcat=/path/to/nc-wrapper
>>
>> where nc-wrapper is an executable script installed on remotehost, looking like:
>>
>> #!/bin/sh
>> exec /path/to/real/nc -q0 "$@"
>
> Just tried this, but still hangs; will try tcp and report the results.
>
> ~Jonathan

Tested using qemu+tcp and it hangs the same. If I interrupt the migration (^C), the domain is correctly destroyed on the destination but left in the paused state on the source. If I try to start it manually, I obtain this error:

# virsh resume 1
error: Failed to resume domain 1
error: Timed out during operation: cannot acquire state change lock

Any insights?

~Jonathan