[libvirt-users] Associating a statefile with an image

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Tue Aug 2 21:29:18 UTC 2011

[re-adding the list]

On 08/02/2011 03:18 PM, sethuraman subbiah wrote:
>> Libvirt shoots for monthly releases; the current schedule is feature freeze this weekend, then a release around the first of August.
>>
>> The new API will allow you do to either:
>>
>> virsh dumpxml --inactive --dom>  file.xml
>> edit file.xml
>> virsh save dom dom.save --xml file.xml
>> virsh restore file.save
>>
>> or:
>>
>> virsh dumpxml --inactive --dom>  file.xml

Using --inactive here only works if you haven't made any changes to the
inactive configuration that differs from the currently running domain.
I'd amend this step to 'virsh dumpxml dom > file.xml' for both of these
examples.

>> virsh save dom dom.save
>> edit file.xml
>> virsh restore file.save --xml file.xml

These two examples will be supported in 0.9.4.  Additionally, I added:

virsh save-file-dumpxml dom.save > file.xml
virsh save-file-define dom.save file.xml
virsh save-file-edit dom.save

to do things inline, and to make it so you don't have to remember to
'virsh dumpxml dom' prior to 'virsh save'.

> I found that the latest libvirt (libvirt 0.9.4) is out.

That's amazing, considering it hasn't been released yet :)  Maybe you
are referring to 0.9.4-rc2 instead?  But at any rate, the official 0.9.4
will probably be released tomorrow with even more bug fixes above 0.9.4-rc2.

 > I tried installing in my Centos 5.6 machine. After a successful
installation, when I start virsh , I get :

> virsh: /lib/libvirt.so.0: version `LIBVIRT_PRIVATE_0.8.2' not found (required by virsh)
>
> Is it possible to get the latest version of libvirt 0.9.4 work on Centos 5.6 ?  Thanks a lot for your help.

Yes, it should be possible, although I haven't tried it myself on centos
(but I have tried on RHEL 5.7).  Are you sure you installed your
self-built libvirt.so correctly?  We take great pains to ensure that
libvirt.so is backwards compatible (no symbols are ever removed).