[libvirt-users] Associating a statefile with an image

sethuraman subbiah sethusubbiah at gmail.com
Tue Aug 2 22:28:27 UTC 2011

On Aug 2, 2011, at 5:29 PM, Eric Blake wrote:

> [re-adding the list]
>
> On 08/02/2011 03:18 PM, sethuraman subbiah wrote:
>>> Libvirt shoots for monthly releases; the current schedule is feature freeze this weekend, then a release around the first of August.
>>>
>>> The new API will allow you do to either:
>>>
>>> virsh dumpxml --inactive --dom>  file.xml
>>> edit file.xml
>>> virsh save dom dom.save --xml file.xml
>>> virsh restore file.save
>>>
>>> or:
>>>
>>> virsh dumpxml --inactive --dom>  file.xml
>
> Using --inactive here only works if you haven't made any changes to the inactive configuration that differs from the currently running domain. I'd amend this step to 'virsh dumpxml dom > file.xml' for both of these examples.
>
>>> virsh save dom dom.save
>>> edit file.xml
>>> virsh restore file.save --xml file.xml
>
> These two examples will be supported in 0.9.4.  Additionally, I added:
>
> virsh save-file-dumpxml dom.save > file.xml
> virsh save-file-define dom.save file.xml
> virsh save-file-edit dom.save
>
> to do things inline, and to make it so you don't have to remember to 'virsh dumpxml dom' prior to 'virsh save'.
>

>> I found that the latest libvirt (libvirt 0.9.4) is out.
>
> That's amazing, considering it hasn't been released yet :)  Maybe you are referring to 0.9.4-rc2 instead?  But at any rate, the official 0.9.4 will probably be released tomorrow with even more bug fixes above 0.9.4-rc2.

Yeah , I was referring to 0.9.4-rc2 :) I will install the official libvirt 0.9.4 tomorrow .
> > I tried installing in my Centos 5.6 machine. After a successful installation, when I start virsh , I get :
>>
>> virsh: /lib/libvirt.so.0: version `LIBVIRT_PRIVATE_0.8.2' not found (required by virsh)
>>
>> Is it possible to get the latest version of libvirt 0.9.4 work on Centos 5.6 ?  Thanks a lot for your help.
>
> Yes, it should be possible, although I haven't tried it myself on centos (but I have tried on RHEL 5.7).  Are you sure you installed your self-built libvirt.so correctly?  We take great pains to ensure that libvirt.so is backwards compatible (no symbols are ever removed).

I think so, I installed libvirt 0.9.4-rc2 on Centos 6 and it worked fine. I tried installing in Centos 5.6 (It had libvirt already installed through yum) . I did yum remove libvirt. Then I did ./configure --prefix = / , make , make install , ldconfig. When I enter virsh after finishing these steps, I get that error. I am not sure whether I am committing a mistake in-between. Please correct me if I am wrong. Thank you.