[libvirt-users] Custom storage pools/volumes

Matthias Bolte matthias.bolte at googlemail.com
Thu Aug 4 14:10:32 UTC 2011

2011/7/29 Mohammed Naser <mnaser at vexxhost.com>:
> Hello everyone,
>
> We're currently working with using libvirt as an abstract API to make our dealings with other hypervisors far easier and faster, however, we have our own storage API that connects/disconnects and makes LUNs available over iSCSI with iSER.
>
> We would have loved to use a storage pool however our system implements a one target per LUN/VDI, therefore, we'd have to create a pool for each server.

Having as much pools as volumes is a bit unfortunate, but not a show
stopper, is it?

Regarding iSER and iSCSI there where some patch proposed on the list a
year ago, but nothing seems to have happened since then.

https://www.redhat.com/archives/libvir-list/2010-August/msg00031.html

> We really would like to utilize the virStorageVolDownload / virStorageVolUpload API calls, however, it seems that those would only work if the storage volume is within a pool.
>
> Is there a way we could possibly define a storage volume without a pool or will we have to create a storage pool for each individual volume?

The storage API assumes that volumes are in pools.

--
Matthias Bolte
http://photron.blogspot.com