[libvirt-users] Ongoing VM saga ....

William A. Mahaffey III wam at hiwaay.net
Mon Aug 15 03:47:25 UTC 2011

.... I have a 64-bit CentOS 5.6 VM running on a 64-bit FC-14 host. I was
originally using the stock NAT networking on the guest, which could
access the host, but nothing else on the network. I eventually found
some links on how to setup routed networking on the guest using a
specifically setup bridge. I followed the example a bit too closely,
bridging my eth0 interface, which is the one I nornally use to access
the host over my LAN. So eth0 temporarily ceased functioning & I had to
undo my handiwork through the console on the host, which I virtually
never use. I restarted networking manually a couple of time on the host,
but eth0 was still fried. I then rebooted the host (still through the
console) & that went AOK, took about 5 min. & all was well, eth0/SSH LAN
access was back & I logged back in & tried to log into the VM to plot my
next course of action & .... The VM address had moved. I had set it up
to use static addressing (modified the ifcfg-eth0 on the VM & restarted
networking, 2 or 3 times yesterday, installed compilers, etc. from the
host, & all was well until I messed around w/ trying the roll-your-own
bridge this A.M.). Which brings me to the real question: How do I figure
out the IP address the VM is using so I can login & continue the
festivities ? I found it yesterday through the VM (virt-viewer) console
after setting up the VM the 1st time, but that doesn't work today either
(black screen inside the viewer, no response to regular or ctrl-keys,
etc.) :-/ .... 'virsh .... console' hangs virsh, etc. :-) .... Soooooo
.... how do I recover that $&#&^$&#* IP address for the VM :-) ? TIA ....

--

	William A. Mahaffey III

	 ever devised by man."
                            -- Gen. George S. Patton Jr.