[libvirt-users] Qemu restore error

Dennis Householder dhouseholder at telecomsys.com
Thu Dec 15 15:48:30 UTC 2011

Hello,

I'm not sure if I am having a kvm/qemu issue, a virt-manager issue, or a
libvirt issue, so if I am asking the wrong crowd please let me know! In
short, restoring some suspended kvm guests via virt-manager is failing
because libvirt cannot read the qemu header. I cannot find any
documentation on what this means. From virsh's limited documentation I
was able to gather that there is probably something wrong with an xml
file somewhere, but I cannot find it. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Synopsis:
I have 5 KVM guests on a Fedora 16 laptop host. I manage them locally
through virt-manager. These guests are JUNOS 10.1R1 (installed over
FreeBSD 4.1 mini-inst) on a patched bios (SeaBIOS
pre-0.6.1-20100805_064324-Compaq8510w). One time I suspended my laptop
and the kvm domains were suspended as well. Trying to restore yields the
following error:

Error restoring domain: operation failed: failed to read qemu header

Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/asyncjob.py", line 44, in
cb_wrapper
     callback(asyncjob, *args, **kwargs)
   File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/asyncjob.py", line 65, in tmpcb
     callback(*args, **kwargs)
   File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/domain.py", line 1050, in
startup
     self._backend.create()
   File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/libvirt.py", line 510, in create
     if ret == -1: raise libvirtError ('virDomainCreate() failed', dom=self)
libvirtError: operation failed: failed to read qemu header

#end error output

Package version info:

libvirt-python-0.9.6-2.fc16.x86_64
libvirt-0.9.6-2.fc16.x86_64
libvirt-client-0.9.6-2.fc16.x86_64
gpxe-roms-qemu-1.0.1-4.fc16.noarch
qemu-system-x86-0.15.1-3.fc16.x86_64
qemu-common-0.15.1-3.fc16.x86_64
qemu-kvm-0.15.1-3.fc16.x86_64
qemu-img-0.15.1-3.fc16.x86_64
virt-manager-0.9.0-7.fc16.noarch
virt-manager-common-0.9.0-7.fc16.noarch
virt-viewer-0.4.1-3.fc16.x86_64

Again, any advice is appreciated. I hope I have provided enough info.
Thank you for your time!

-- Dennis

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The information contained in this message may be privileged and/or confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, or responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, any review, forwarding, dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication or any attachment(s) is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately, and delete it and all attachments from your computer and network.